With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
- Taps Kitchen Sinktaps Mixer Swivel Faucet Sink European-Style Basin Faucet Toilet Cold and Hot
- Ayhuir New Arrival Black Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Faucet 360 Degree Swivel Single Handle Kitchen Mixer Cuisine
- Certified International 89527 Hydrangea Garden Dinnerware, Dishes, Multicolor
- KOHLER K-11283-G Forté Glass Shelf, Brushed Chrome
- Lalaky Taps Faucet Kitchen Mixer Sink Waterfall Bathroom Mixer Basin Mixer Tap for Kitchen Bathroom and Washroom Full Copper Plating gold Hot and Cold 36 Degree redation
- BDYJY ※ Bathroom Sink Faucets Brass Brass Swivel Water Cold & Hot Chrome Showers Sink Mixer Sink Faucet Kitchen Faucets
- Bacati 10-Piece Elephants Nursery-in-A-Bag Crib Bedding Set with Long Rail Guard, Pink Grey
- ETERNAL QUALITY Bathroom Sink Basin Tap Brass Mixer Tap Washroom Mixer Faucet Black antique table basin faucet hot and cold basin full copper faucet basin mixer Water mix
- Double Shower Double Hole Copper Kitchen Hot and Cold Water Stainless Steel Universal Tube Faucet Z1126
- Mud Pie Spanish Decorative Centerpiece Glass Bowl bluee
- Green GLJ Wood Bar Chair Bar Chair Simple Retro High Stool Bar Stool (color Reddish Brown)
- 360 Degree redating Mixer Retro Bathroom Kitchen Mixer Black Kitchen Hand Wash Bibcock 304 Stainless Steel Sink to Turn The Faucet Cold and Hot Mixer Single Hole
- LUDSUY 8 Inches Antique Copper Bathroom Wall Mirror Bathroom Vanity Mirror Folding Mirror Sided Telescopic Magnifying Glass, gold
- Floor Mat Doormat Indoor Mat Indoor Mats Foot Pad Doormats Mat Cushion Indoor Mats in The Hall-K 120x140cm(47x55inch)
- Cute Trifolium on greenical Wavy Stripes with Dots Good Luck Fortune Symbol Floor Mat Rug Indoor Front Door Kitchen and Living Room Bedroom Mats Rubber Non Slip
- WENZHE Upholstered Fabric Headboard Bedside Cushion Pads Cover Bed Wedges Backrest Waist Pad Triangular Pillow Backrest Double Bed Sofa Soft Case Multifunction Waistguard Simple Nordic Wind Washable, 7 colors, 8 Sizes Optional ( color 3 , Size 90×60×
- Tingting Wall Mounted Coat Rack The Door Hook Hanger Wall Hooks Brass Hanger Small Space Rack 3 5 Hook Wall Decoration Nail Inssizetion (2 colors, 2 Sizes) (color Walnut, Size 36 7 28cm)
- Taps Kitchen Faucetbathroom Sink Tapfaucet Bathroom Antique gold Copper Hot and Cold
- San Jamar SCDG33BK Square Professional Digital Scale, Black with Stainless Steel Platform
- White POLY & BARK Poly and Bark Birds Nest Dining Side Chair in Black (Set of 4)
- Oudan All Copper redary Mixing Water Faucet Wrench However Sputtering Durable Silent Faucet Basin (color -, Size -)
- San Jamar MP16 Mod Pan, Food Pan with Lid, 2 quart, (Pack of 12)
- Faucet Above Counter Basin Black Faucet hot and Cold Copper wash Basin Basin Faucet hot and Cold Bathroom Bathroom Cabinet Single Hole
- Kitchen Brass Bathroom Retro Classic Style Luxury Single Hole Single Handle Sink Faucet in gold Finish for Bathroom Faucert
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.